• In 2021, cash awards totalled $165,000, in addition to over $49,000 in artwork. Awards for TF may be modified.
• Unless otherwise agreed by the Festival in writing, awards will be given to the winning film director (as identified in the Festival Information Form) on behalf of the film (except for Best Screenplay, Best Cinematography, Best Actor, Best Actress, and Best Editing) and will be fulfilled approximately 12-16 weeks after the closing date of TF.
• Award eligibility is subject to any restrictions or conditions imposed by applicable laws and regulations (international, federal, state or otherwise), and the award recipient is responsible for all applicable taxes, customs, tariffs, insurance and similar charges or costs (if any).
• By invitation, Features by first time directors having their World Premieres at TF (except those only shown in the “Gala” section or as a “Special Screening” or “Special Event”) are eligible for the Best New Documentary Award or Best New Narrative Award. The Festival in its sole discretion may also consider North American or International Premieres for the Best New Narrative or Best New Documentary Awards.
• All new Features (except those only shown in the “Gala”, "Tribeca Talks" or “Retrospectives”) are eligible for the “Audience Award,” regardless of section.
• By invitation, Features written and/or directed by women having at least their North American Premieres at TF (except those only shown in the “Gala”, "Tribeca Talks" or “Retrospectives”) are eligible for the Nora Ephron Award.
• All selected projects that are actually exhibited as part of the Tribeca Storyscapes program during TF are eligible for any award(s) that may be given in connection with the Tribeca Storyscapes program at TF (awards are not guaranteed and are determined from year to year in the Festival’s sole discretion).
Since submission of a film constitutes acceptance of these Entry Rules & Regulations (by you and your agents), please review this document carefully.
Please see our full Entry Rules & Regulations
Tribeca Festival Categories:
Tribeca Online Premieres:
Tribeca Podcasts (tribecafilm.com only):
SUBMISSION CATEGORIES - TRIBECA FESTIVAL:
*Not applicable to Tribeca X Award submissions.
**Not applicable to Tribeca Games submissions.
Feature and Short Films:
Tribeca showcases short and feature films from emerging talent and established filmmakers with distinct voices and bold new ideas. Films invited to participate in the Tribeca Festival will be shown in the section determined most appropriate by Festival programmers, in their sole discretion.Short films will also be considered for our online section which will premiereon our Tribeca At Home platform.
Eligible projects include feature films (runtime ≥ 40 minutes). Short films (runtime < 40 minutes); including documentaries, narratives, animation, experimental films, and music videos.
Tribeca NOW is a platform that discovers, highlights, and celebrates independent episodic work, including short and long form pilots/series, of both narrative and documentary genres. Eligible projects include episodic projects created for broadcast television and/or streaming, and web series. Submitted projects must show the potential for serial growth; standalone short films will not be considered.
Additional to consideration as an Official Selection of TF, filmmakers submitting to Tribeca NOW will also be considered for the Tribeca Creators Market, a first-of-its-kind, private industry market held during TF that brings together emerging feature film, episodic, immersive, podcast, and games storytellers to pitch new projects to and network with a wide range of industry, including distributors, producers, networks, funders, and more. Interested participants must have prepared pitch materials (i.e. scripts, look books, etc.) in advance of the event for Market staff to review. All filmmakers chosen as Official Selections of the Tribeca NOW section will receive an automatic invitation to the Tribeca Creators Market.
Eligible projects include
Long form episodics and short form episodics projects, inclusive of web series.
Tribeca exhibits immersive projects throughout TF to showcase new forms and uses of emerging media, highlighting innovation across a variety of platforms. These may range from virtual reality and augmented reality projects to cross-platform films, 360 films, multi-media installations, and apps.
Submissions will be considered for the Tribeca Virtual Arcade (for room-scale VR and/or XR projects and 360 Films). All World Premiere & International Premiere selections will also be considered for inclusion in our Storyscapes competition. Non-Fiction selections are eligible for our Best Creative Non-Fiction Award. Narrative selections are eligible for our Best Immersive Narrative award. Some selections from the program may also be included in our online initiative for a global audience, pending approval by the creative team. Project creators will also be considered for the Tribeca Creators Market, a first-of-its-kind, private industry market that brings together leading online and immersive storytellers to pitch new projects to a wide range of industry, including distributors, agencies, funders, and more.
Eligible projects include but are not limited to virtual reality projects, 360 films, augmented reality projects, web projects, mobile apps, multi-media installations and multi-platform works, but in any event, projects must have some sort of interactive element. Linear or 2D films will not be accepted.
Tribeca Games (tribecafilm.com only):
Tribeca will feature video game projects throughout TF to highlight this important medium as a form of storytelling, art, and innovation. Story is defined in the broadest sense including narrative, world building, and/or artistic excellence. Cross-medium projects and unique use of technology that challenge our current understanding games is embraced. Submissions will be considered for the Tribeca Games section and, if selected, will be considered Official Selections and will be featured during TF.
Eligible projects include but are not limited to all U.S. and internationally produced games that are created for web, console, virtual reality, augmented reality, and mobile games. Tabletop games are not accepted at this time.
Tribeca X Award
The Tribeca X Award is a juried award for storytelling supported by a brand recognizing the intersection of advertising and entertainment. The Tribeca X Award is open to all work funded with support of a brand in collaboration with artists or filmmakers. The finalists will be recognized by the Festival, and a jury will award the winning selection at TF.
Eligible projects include scripted and documentary work for film, TV, digital, episodic, social, and VR/AR, in both feature or short length. Submitted projects must have a storytelling element; projects that are strictly intended as commercial spots will not be considered