The Reel Youth Film Festival is a touring festival of the world's best youth-made short films. It is a diverse collection that includes all genres, celebrates youth culture, and showcases a new generation of filmmakers.
We kick off annually at the Vancouver International Film Festival in Canada, and go on tour across Canada and around the world. Overall winners are determined by cumulative audience votes.
The films are chosen by a youth jury, who rate all entries for originality, entertainment value, production value, and the message portrayed. The top rated films are then curated into a screening of 80 minutes of awesomeness. We value innovation and inclusion and work to ensure the festival includes First Nations, LGBTQ*, people of colour, female leads and multi-abled individuals/content.
Rules & Terms
In order to be considered, all submissions must:
1) be made by youth 19 years old and younger,
2) be under 10 minutes (including titles and credits),
3) be original video (video you shot yourself) or have permission to use,
4) have original music or music you have permission from the artist to use,
5) be in English or with English subtitles,
6) have an high-quality NTSC version of the film available.
IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED, you must provide a downloadable HD video file in NTSC format. NOTE: I can not download your film from FilmFreeway unless it is submitted from Vimeo with setting permitting download.
BY SUBMITTING YOUR FILM, you are agreeing to the following:
1. You give permission for your film to be a part of the Reel Youth “Best of the Fest” DVD, which is sold to help offset the cost of the festival tour. It will expose your film and filmmaking abilities to a wider audience.
2. You give permission for your film to be hosted on reelyouth.ca (via YouTube as a secondary host) if it is selected as an audience favourite in one or more of the festival screenings.
3. You give Reel Youth permission to submit your film into other festivals.
Please contact us if you have any questions or concerns about these conditions.